FTRA?

Discuss trains, railroads and freight hopping experiences. NOTE: How-To information is NOT acceptable.

Moderator: flatcar

FTRA?

Postby Smile_Inducer » June 30th, 2006, 9:40 am

Smile_Inducer

Postby railspikekid » June 30th, 2006, 6:28 pm

dont believe everything you read in the news or on the internet...sure,there are some crazy fucks that ride the rails,there are also alot of good folks...use common sense and youll be alright...its the best tool you have,better than any knife or club...
railspikekid

Postby KaBar » June 30th, 2006, 7:11 pm

I followed some of those links and had a good laugh. The article on Wikipedia made it sound like Dog Man Tony and Dan Boone are very mysterious characters! I got a kick out of that.

The FTRA exists, and several of the guys I know now broke in riding with the FTRA, back in the day. I've drank beer and whiskey with Dog Man and the late Eight Ball and met several others who would probably not appreciate me mentioning their names on here. They are plenty tough, but this "killers on the rails" stuff is nonsense.

Robert "Sidetrack" Silviera was arrested and convicted of multiple murders of old timers (for their SS checks and I.D.) and a few "yuppie hobos" that he apparently wanted to rob. Dog Man was arrested during this investigation, but eventually released for lack of evidence. The cops were just trying to make a case against anybody and everybody they could catch.

If you mind your own business and avoid confrontation with these guys, they generally won't bother you. Drinking and doping with strangers is always a bad idea, but it's an even worse idea with the FTRA. Would you get drunk with the Hell's Angels or the Bandidos and then get into an argument? Well, then don't do it with the FTRA.

Avoid trouble. Do not drink with strangers. Never get involved with a girl or woman travelling with other tramps. Other than that, the FTRA is no more dangerous than the average 1%er motorcycle club.
KaBar

Postby kimock » July 2nd, 2006, 3:59 pm

well put kabar. just use your common sense an street smarts and your straight. BUT i have sat around and drank with lots of ftra and never had anything go down except a squabble or two. everyone catch out and it is what it is. but yeah dont fuck with another tramps woman thats a gauruntee for many heads to hop on you
kimock

ftra???

Postby redkat420 » July 21st, 2006, 6:34 pm

My old man is the Dutchman, and he has told me the true history of how the ftra began. There never was a 'bar in montana and a group of vietnam vets' That crap was loaded on by joushua long gone . It was escalated on by the brothers because they thought it was funny. I have been riding for a year with The Dutchman and have met most of the Original members of the ftra. Good brothers to have at your back.
redkat420

Postby Smile_Inducer » July 21st, 2006, 8:30 pm

Picked up a hitchhiker a few weeks ago who said a few years ago he had met a number of FTRA members and brought them to a bar for free (his family owned the bar). When he told them it was his family's bar they made the judgement he must've been rich (def untrue) and beat him up when he walked outside and tried to take whatever money he had on him, said if it weren't for his friend that came from behind and beat the hell out of em and sent em running, he could've gotten hurt real bad. So after he had given them a place to stay, free food, and tons of free alcohol, they decide to mug him. In response to my question of "Are they really dangerous if you don't fuck with em?" he said "Yes sir they are."
Smile_Inducer

FTRA

Postby redkat420 » July 23rd, 2006, 6:25 pm

:twisted: There are a lot of riders out there that claim to be ftra.Most of them are fuckups who like the infamy of the ftra.It was Highly unlikely that the riders whom he befriended were really brothers of the ftra.Sure their claim of ftra gets them free drinks ,but dont get fooled. There are very few of the Original FTRA that are still riding trains. The Dutchman is still on the rails and I ride with him Proudly.I am 54 years old ,have been riding a year and have never had contact with a bull. Dutch keeps me safe.No one could ask for a better partner and tour guide.
redkat420

Postby sunsetroute » August 3rd, 2006, 6:58 pm

Agreed...alotta kids claiming shit they dont know about- better be careful if you decide to call yourself 'part' of the ftra. Anyway, there is a great documentary that I saw in 03' at trampfest...its called "long gone" it has dog man and a few others in it..check out:
http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117919 ... id=31&cs=1
sunsetroute

Postby jonmacleod » August 22nd, 2006, 6:16 pm

[quote:4d7736f549="sunsetroute"]Agreed...alotta kids claiming sh*t they dont know about- better be careful if you decide to call yourself 'part' of the ftra. Anyway, there is a great documentary that I saw in 03' at trampfest...its called "long gone" it has dog man and a few others in it..check out:
http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117919 ... id=31&cs=1[/quote:4d7736f549]

deleted
jonmacleod

Postby Lightfoot » April 1st, 2007, 9:50 pm

I recently met some FTRA guys on the way to my niece's 5th birthday party and invited them along. They were extremely nice, wore the silly party hats, sang the happy birthday song, and even helped my niece blow out the candles on her cake. One of the FTRA guys even knew how to make different kinds of animals out of balloons. Then we all went to Chuck E Cheezes and had a great time. My niece and her little friends got a little cranky and rowdy at the end, but otherwise everybody behaved very well.
Lightfoot

Next

Return to Trains & Hopping