Coolest place you've ever slept...

This forum is open to all who want to talk about hitchhiking.
(Use the appropriate Regional Hitchhiking category if writing about a specific area.)

Moderator: Moderators

Postby AprilShowerz » November 29th, 2009, 2:08 pm

On my trip to DC I found an abandoned hospital. It was locked up tight at all the doors but one basement door that was hard to find. I snuck in to take pictures- that is a hobby of mine, taking pictures of abandoned buildings, ghost towns, that sort of thing.

So when I got inside I discovered that when they closed it, they left everything behind. The beds were all still made, there were clean linens in the cupboards. All the desks still were stocked with pens, paper clips etc.
It didn't leak and most of the rooms had no broken windows. I remade one of the beds and had myself a place to stay. I slept there for a couple of weeks.

It was definately a bit odd sleeping in a hospital, an abandoned one at that, but it was warm, dry and locked up tight.
AprilShowerz

Postby jimsjazzz » December 1st, 2009, 12:03 am

April,
Sounds interesting. Any chance you could post your photos somewhere?
jimsjazzz

Postby TopherHedgeHog » December 1st, 2009, 1:51 pm

Right next to the flathead river in western Montana (Kalispell or Whitefish, I believe). The most beautiful and clear body of water I have ever seen. There is a reason Montana is called "Big Sky Country", and the canopy of stars above me was amazing.
TopherHedgeHog

Postby theycallmeJ » December 2nd, 2009, 10:48 pm

These are all really interesting-- I especially love the abandoned hospital.

I was checking some websites out a couple of weeks ago and I stumbled on a site about ghost cities-- imagine having an entire city to yourself let alone an abandoned hotel.

http://weburbanist.com/2008/10/19/ghost ... es-images/

Check out Varosha in Cyprus-- that place looks like it could have been beautiful.
theycallmeJ

Postby Flagtown_Coyote » December 8th, 2009, 5:10 pm

While exploring Portland, OR by bicycle, thinking I was headed to the mountains to the east of town for the night, got completely lost in the town. My bike setup was huge at the time and I was feeling too conspicuous to sleep anywhere I could see, until I ran into a kid biking around in the middle of the night with some friends. He led me onto a college campus, told me to watch out for the white security vans, and told me to watch out for the stinging nettles on a narrow trail that led down to the creek. Set a tarp out on damp sandy ground, the softest place I had ever slept outdoors, and got the best sleep of the whole trip there. Woke up with banana slugs all over my stuff though.

More recently, a buddy took me on my first actual hitchhiking trip. We slept out in the desert in Casa Grande near the truck stop. Her puppy crawled into my sleeping bag over the course of the night, and I woke up to her growling. Having only just woken up and not really thinking much yet, I start growling too. I looked up to see a coyote less than ten feet away, showing its teeth a little. I pulled the sleeping bag over my head and hugged the puppy. The coyote sniffed my sleeping bag and backpack a bit before running off into the desert again. I almost thought I dreamed the whole thing, until I found the tracks in the morning!
Flagtown_Coyote

Postby RangerChris » December 8th, 2009, 8:47 pm

Lucky pup;)
RangerChris

Postby Maps » December 8th, 2009, 9:43 pm

The best place I ever slept was under the stars in a big field in east Montana.
I fell asleep watching a lightning storm float by on the horizon.
Maps

Postby danieln » December 9th, 2009, 8:22 am

My favorite is always on the beach. There is nothing better than waking up to birds singing and crashing waves rolling onto shore.

Most unique was probably a castle in Slovenia, or the ships I pulled to shore in Greece and a river in Serbia. One time I was woken up and offered liquor by the owner of the boat =)
danieln

I have slept on top of the great pyramid of Cairo,Egypt,1979

Postby mxnnz » December 10th, 2009, 5:01 am

I have slept on top of the great pyramid of Giza, Cairo,Egypt,1979

yes, there were ghosts on the top that night, a long story, will have to write it all out one day. would love to meet any of the others from that night, we all would say the same story. have never met anyone else who has slept on top of the great pyramid since. max (please see my website for more).

this has been a memory lane reading all the entries in this forum.
memories of powerful places of rest, many that one cannot sleep in now.

in the Taj Mahal, full moon, the private garden of the gardeners in the south west corner.1978
at the giant Buhdda of Bamiyan, Afganistan, 1978
the oasis before camel pass, two days walk from Nuweiba to Mt Sinai.1978
top of mount sinai. well of fresh water, 14 fresh herbs.1978
on the western side of the west wall in Jerusalem.1978
in the middle of Sudan, branches of the Nile, with the local people whom owned nothing more than a piece of sack. Trans Africa Walk for Peace Expedition. 1980
half way up the north face of Mt Kenya. 1980
in a railway carage somewhere in north west USA to wake up to find it starting to go the wrong way and had to jumb out.1982
top mt Ngauruhoe, Tongoriro National Park, New Zealand, inside a live volcaneo, and had one of the worst nights of my life having travelled the world. there was a mouse all over my gear.1996
first time next to your first born...

weirdest experiences I have heard of,
on a sandy beach or river bed during an earthquake. you sink, but do not move.
mxnnz

i like your selection of resting photos, what a good idea.

Postby mxnnz » December 10th, 2009, 5:38 am

[quote:ae8da4fa70="EDsteve"]I try to make pics of all my sleepingplaces on my hitch around the world trip. Forget it some times, but here is a small collection of it:

http://edsteve.diy-community.de/g2/main ... temId=5133

Have fun
ED[/quote:ae8da4fa70]
mxnnz

PreviousNext

Return to Hitchhikers Free-for-All