Whats the best place and time to fly a sign for money?

Vagabonding, squatting, camping... share your questions and tips!
Registered Users only.

Moderator: Moderators

Whats the best place and time to fly a sign for money?

Postby lordvader44 » August 11th, 2009, 12:21 pm

I just tryed the onramp in the morning, lots of cars no money.I got 17$ in 2 hours in front of Target and stapels in the afternoon on a sunday.My best was by an applebees and kmart 2 hours before sunset,that was 52$.What could I be doing better to get more $$. I'm clean looking with an inocent face and glasses.I have a big back with me too.
lordvader44

Postby lordvader44 » August 11th, 2009, 12:22 pm

sorry I ment offramp.
lordvader44

Re: Whats the best place and time to fly a sign for money?

Postby ceo » August 11th, 2009, 2:07 pm

[quote:980a25be48="lordvader44"]I just tryed the onramp in the morning, lots of cars no money.I got 17$ in 2 hours in front of Target and stapels in the afternoon on a sunday.My best was by an applebees and kmart 2 hours before sunset,that was 52$.What could I be doing better to get more $$. I'm clean looking with an inocent face and glasses.I have a big back with me too.[/quote:980a25be48]

There is side/temp work wherever you go. Flying a sign for the sole purpose of making money is a bad idea. It puts a bad taste in potential rides mouth when they see and stereotype all hitchhikers that way. If you are that hungry; every town of good size has a food bank or church/salvation arny meal. Good luck. Peace.

CEO
ceo

Postby screech » August 11th, 2009, 2:13 pm

Remember the type of people who you are flying at. Depending on the area, different signs might be called for.

All in all. Wal-marts are just hands down the best. The type of people that shop there are the type of people that will help you out.

Only losers shop at Kmart. I wouldnt want their money anyhow ;)

Mid afternoon is usually best for me as far as percentage of cars giving money. But I usually make the most during rush hour just because of the volume of vehicles.

I say let people stereotype people with signs. I could care less about their opinions. The type of people who get a bad taste in their mouth from a bum holding a sign aren't going to give ANY hitchhiker a ride. Even if it is a dude in a 3,000 dollar suit who just needs to get to work.
screech

Postby dazednconfused » August 13th, 2009, 2:12 pm

wal- mart is always the best, you can rake in about 30 bucks an hour in front of those stores. especially if there is a stop light.

i personally dont like spanging though. i dont make as much busking but it makes me feel like im working for something.
dazednconfused

Postby Harrifer » August 13th, 2009, 2:56 pm

[quote:2146415873="lordvader44"]I just tryed the onramp in the morning, lots of cars no money.I got 17$ in 2 hours in front of Target and stapels in the afternoon on a sunday.My best was by an applebees and kmart 2 hours before sunset,that was 52$.What could I be doing better to get more $$. I'm clean looking with an inocent face and glasses.I have a big back with me too.[/quote:2146415873]

I don't know much about US currency, but that's got to be above minimum wage.

What are you bitching about? You must have enough money to live. People have no obligation to feed your addictions.
Harrifer

Postby dazednconfused » August 13th, 2009, 5:32 pm

[quote:91b64a142f="Harrifer"]What are you bitching about? You must have enough money to live. People have no obligation to feed your addictions.[/quote:91b64a142f]
dazednconfused

Postby lordvader44 » August 14th, 2009, 11:13 am

Harrifer, I dont use drugs,have been drunk mabey 4 times in my life. I am not flying a sign too feed addictions.I was laidoff last fall and am traveling to find work and to see this country.Not everyone can find work easily on the road and flying a sign can really help when in a pinch.Dont assume everyone flying a sign is a tweeker or a drunk or lazy.
lordvader44

Postby Pasco » October 25th, 2009, 7:43 pm

I fly signs becuse it makes money! How else will i support my drug and alcohol addictions.......I found ramps on the outskirts of a city work well weekdays after 4pm
Pasco

Postby smartmouth » October 26th, 2009, 12:39 pm

outside town around lunch. walmarts, fast food and supermarkets,
smartmouth

Return to Vagabond Techniques